13 April 2017

K is for Kate and Kathryn Lincecum (A to Z Challenge)

Individual Report -KKlincecumFor this edition of the A to Z Challenge, here are a couple of women I don't know much about.  In fact, I know more about their husbands than I do them. Typical.

Kate

Kate Lincecum was born about 1898 in Gonzales County, Texas.  She was one of 10 or 11 children born to Lachaon Joseph Lincecum, Jr. (d. 1940) and Elizabeth Stubblefield.  When she was about 20 years old, on 19 April 1918 at Bexar County, Kate married a slender, blue eyed and light haired man named William Arthur Parker.  He was a son of Thomas Arthur Parker and Elizabeth Wheeler.  The young couple had at least three children.

Kate and William moved around quite a bit, all the while remaining in the great big state of Texas.  They lived in five counties over a 23 year period, staying in the central and north- and southeastern parts of the state.  William held several different occupations over those same years, finally settling on training racing horses by the taking of the 1940 census.  He appears to have held that occupation until his death in 1970.

A Social Security Death Index entry for Kate L. Parker provides a death date of 13 September 1981 for my 4th cousin (if that's her).

Kathryn

Kathryn Evelyn Lincecum was born 15 March 1912 in Henderson County, Texas.  She was one of at least three daughters born to Herbert Clarence Lincecum (d. 1921) and Florence Ellen Gordon (d. 1942).  Kathryn married Dorsey Taylor Kownslar 10 June 1939 in Navarro County, the couple having at least one child.

Kathryn was with Dorsey when he enlisted as a private in the United States Army 15 October 1942.  He would make the military his career.

Kathryn was Dorsey's second wife, and their relationship would (presumably) end in divorce, as he was married again before 1960.  Kathryn did not remarry, passing away at the age of 80 years on 14 August 1992.  Her remains rest at Athens Cemetery, in the county of her birth.

The relationship between Kate and Kathryn was 2nd cousins. I wonder if they knew each other.



Are you wondering what's up with all the "letter" posts? I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge (links to official page). This challenge lasts through the month of April, with Sundays off.  Each day follows a different letter prompt, in order, from A to Z.  Click here to see all my letter posts on one page (in reverse order).  Though this is my second year in the challenge, it's my first with two blogs.  My theme here is "kinfolk direct." Versus any name from the one name study, these genealogy and history posts all involve someone to which I am related.  You may follow along with me by RSS feed and other social media platforms listed at the top of the sidebar.  I and other bloggers in the challenge on Twitter will also be using #atozchallenge.

I'm also participating with Southern Graves.  This blog as a whole is one of my themes – telling the tales of tombstones, primarily from those found in the Southern United States and usually the State of Georgia.

Are you participating in the challenge, too? Please leave a link to your blog in the comments, I'd love to pay you a visit.  Good luck to all involved!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Since they were cousins, I wonder if they were named for the same ancestor. I wrote about a Katherine/Kate today too.

Finding Eliza

S. Lincecum said...

Great minds, Kristin! (Of course, I had to type that.) Off to read about your Katherine/Kate.

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

Frustrating not to know more about these two women. Have you tried local newspaper archives? I have found interesting tidbits about women ancestors in the visitation columns of local papers, as well as in articles about local goings-on. Of course this varies by location, but worth a look.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin