04 April 2017

C is for Caledonia N. Lincicum Hawthorn (A to Z Challenge)

Individual Report - CNLHawthornCaledonia Nancy Lincicum/Lincecum was one of at least eight children born to Harmon (b. abt 1824) and Lucinda (d. abt 1872) Lincicum.  Online family trees put Lucinda's maiden name as Hawthorn, but I must admit such is my only source.

Born about August 1849, likely in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, Caledonia's surname before marriage took on a few different spellings:  Lyncicum, Linscomb, and Lindum (in addition to Lincicum and Lincecum).

About the year 1868, likely in the state of Louisiana, Caledonia married Newton P. Hawthorn/e.  If Caledonia's mother's maiden name was in fact Hawthorn, and my current research is correct, Caledonia and her husband shared a grandfather – William Hawthorn (1777-1841).

Census records suggest Caledonia gave birth to 10 or 11 children.  But I have names for only seven of hers and Newton's offspring:  Daniel P., Pitsy M., Simeon B., Bullard T., Urettah A., Gorda Macune, and Ella V.

Caledonia lost Newton when he was shot and killed (supposedly by a relative) "during a difficulty" near Wright, La in March of 1906.  I have yet to find Caledonia after the 1910 La Salle Parish, Louisiana Federal census.  Husband and wife were laid to rest at the appropriate times at Hawthorne Cemetery in Little Creek, La Salle Parish.  Several of their children are there, as well.

Come back when it's time for the letter N to learn more about Newton Hawthorn and his Civil War service!



Are you wondering what's up with all the "letter" posts? I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge (links to official page). This challenge lasts through the month of April, with Sundays off.  Each day follows a different letter prompt, in order, from A to Z.  Click here to see all my letter posts on one page (in reverse order).  Though this is my second year in the challenge, it's my first with two blogs.  My theme here is "kinfolk direct." Versus any name from the one name study, these genealogy and history posts all involve someone to which I am related.  You may follow along with me by RSS feed and other social media platforms listed at the top of the sidebar.  I and other bloggers in the challenge on Twitter will also be using #atozchallenge.

I'm also participating with Southern Graves.  This blog as a whole is one of my themes – telling the tales of tombstones, primarily from those found in the Southern United States and usually the State of Georgia.

Are you participating in the challenge, too? Please leave a link to your blog in the comments, I'd love to pay you a visit.  Good luck to all involved!

2 comments:

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

Caledonia is another excellent given name! Looking forward to the post about Newton to learn more.

Kristin said...

It's so hard to find those children who are born and die between censuses. I recently had some luck using baptismal records. So many children didn't make it to adulthood.

<a href="http://findingeliza.com/”>Finding Eliza</a>

Blog Widget by LinkWithin