James S. Lincecum was born 28 November 1858, possibly in Washington County, Texas, to Lucullus Garland Lincecum and Edna Caroline "Kate" Lauderdale. James lived just 25 years, and died 13 March 1884 in Las Animas, Colorado. His body was returned to the home of his parents in Lampasas, Texas, and buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.
- Census: 12 June 1860 / Long Point, Washington County, Texas
- Census: 1870 / Brenham, Washington County, Texas
- Occupation: 1870 / Farm Work in Washington County, Texas
Sources available upon request.
- I have seen several references to James S. and his brother John L. being twins. The only records I've come across to suggest this is census. Tombstones for each show the same birth month and day, but different years (1855 for John, and 1858 for James).
- Austin Weekly Statesman (Texas) 20 March 1884 [via The Portal to Texas History]
LAMPASAS New College - Funeral - Hotel, Etc. Special Telegram to The Statesman. ...The remains of James Lincecum arrived from west Las Amnos [sic], Colorado, last night and were intured [sic] this afternoon at 4 o'clock. He was the son of our esteemed townsman, Dr. Lincecum...
In Memory Of
James S. Lincecum
Born Nov 28, 1858
Died at West Los Animos, Col.
Mar 13, 1884
How short is life's span,
Few hours possessed,
Warmed; but, to cool,
Active; but, to rest.