Nancy Lincecum is my 6th great grand aunt. She was a daughter of Gideon Lincecum and Miriam Bowie, born about 1769 in either North Carolina or Georgia. About 1788, in Georgia, Nancy was married to William Green Berry. He was born about 1762 in Virginia.
The widow Nancy (Lincecum) Berry died September 1849 in Winston County, Mississippi. Her death was noted on the 1850 U.S. Census Mortality Schedule for that place.
The following from Lois Burkhalter's 1965 biography of Gideon Lincecum, Nancy's nephew:
Shortly after the end of the American Revolution there appeared in a frontier settlement in Warren County, Georgia, an Englishman named Thomas Roberts, who had deserted from the British Army and had served the last three years of the war with the Revolutionary forces. He found Widow [Miriam] Lincecum struggling to restore her farm from war ravages and to support her three daughters with the help of only her strapping thirteen-year-old son, Hezekiah, the sole male Lincecum spared by the British.
Roberts was educated, charming, bold, and given to profanity. When he came courting among the Lincecum girls they sent him on his way.
Nancy was one of those "Lincecum girls."
Children of Nancy Lincecum and William Berry:
- Simeon Berry, b. 1789-1804 in Georgia, m. (1) Nancy Tabor abt 1817 in Alabama, (2) Martha Hendrix 1848 in Alabama, d. aft. 1853 in (possibly) Mississippi.
- Gideon Berry, b. abt 1790 in Georgia, m. Sarah "Sally" Whatley 1813 in Georgia, d. abt or aft. 1855 in (possibly) Alabama.
- Green Berry, b. abt 1792 in Georgia, m. Mary "Polly" Coleman 1813 in Georgia, d. aft. 1813 in (possibly) Georgia.
- Susan W. Berry, b. 18 August 1793 in Georgia, m. Obediah Echols Daniel 1818 in Alabama, d. 31 August 1873 in (likely) Alabama.
- Nancy Berry, b. 1795-1799 in Georgia, m. William Barrett 1825 in Alabama, d. aft. 1870 in (possibly) Alabama.
- Matilda Berry, b. April 1798 in Mississippi or Georgia, d. 12 December 1871 in Alabama.
- Uriah Berry, b. 31 March 1801 in (likely) Alabama, m. Malinda Tabor 1819 in Alabama, d. 25 January 1866 in (likely) Mississippi.
- Jarrett L. Berry, b. abt 1805 in (possibly) Georgia, m. (1) Susannah Tabor Smith 1827 in Alabama, (2) Almeda Tippah 1854 in Mississippi, d. aft. 1860 in (possibly) Arkansas.
Sources available upon request. Take all mistakes as good wishes.