10 July 2016

Notes Report for Addison Lysander Lincecum (1874-1965)

drallincecum-farrightTake all mistakes as good wishes.

Image from Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Texas), 3 May 1915.  The caption:  "Left to right:  Dr. Holman Taylor, secretary of the State Medical Association and editor of the State Medical Journal; Dr. W. King, health officer, of San Antonio, and chairman of the board of councilors [sic]; Dr. W. C. Rucker, assistant surgeon general of the United States department of public health; Dr. A. L. Lincecum of Austin, assistant state health officer."

  • From Texas Under Many Flags by Clarence Wharton, American Historical Society, 1930.  Pg 124:
    ADDISON L. LINCECUM.  Three generations of the Lincecum family have been physicians and surgeons in Texas.  Dr. Addison L. Lincecum, who has done a great deal of public health work, is practicing medicine and conducting a high class private hospital at El Campo.

    His grandfather was a physician and a personal friend of General Sam Houston in the early days of the Texas Republic.  He was in his generation a scientist, deeply versed in the physical sciences, and also a thorough physician.  This pioneer doctor of Texas was an uncle of the famous historical character, James Bowie, whose name is associated with the "Bowie Knife," and who was one of the victims of the Alamo massacre.

    Dr. Addison L. Lincecum was born in Washington County, Texas, April 8, 1874.  His father, Lucullus G. Lincecum, was educated in Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, then the outstanding medical college in the country, and he located in Texas, settled in Washington County in 1848 and in 1878 located at Lampasas, and practiced medicine until his death.  He was a surgeon in the Confederate army.  Dr. Lucullus Lincecum married Fannie Rainwater, a native of Mississippi.  Of their eight children six are deceased.

    Dr. Addison L. Lincecum secured his early education at Lampasas, attending the Centenary College there.  He was matriculated in medicine at the University of Texas at Galveston in 1894, and in 1903 took his diploma from Baylor University.  From 1897 to 1908 he was in practice at Jackson, Texas, and from 1908 to 1914 at El Campo.

    Dr. Lincecum left El Campo to serve as assistant health officer at Austin from 1914 to 1917.  In 1917 he took a commission and went overseas with the One Hundred and Eleventh Engineers, spending thirteen months in France, two months of that time being on the firing line.  He returned home in 1919 and was discharged at Fort Sam Houston in June of that year with the rank of captain.

    After this military service Doctor Lincecum served with the U.S. Veterans Bureau for about six years and in 1925 returned to El Campo and resumed his private practice, and since 1927 has also conducted a well equipped private hospital there.  Doctor Lincecum is president of the City and County Medical Society.  In addition to his professional work he has a large amount of real estate and other business interests to occupy a portion of his time.  He is a Republican, member of the Christian Church, and is a Lodge and Royal Arch Chapter Mason.

    Doctor Lincecum married October 24, 1897, Miss Letha Gandy.  Mrs. Lincecum is a Texas author, has been an investigator and writer on historical topics, and many of her writings have been published and have secured for her special recognition and honors from the university and other institutions.  Her great-grandfather, John Gandy, of North Carolina, was a soldier in the American Revolution.  Her parents were Barnabas P. and Mary (Allen) Gandy, her father a native of Alabama and her mother of Mississippi.  Doctor and Mrs. Lincecum have three children, Barney, Ruth and Addison, Jr.  Barney of Houston.  Ruth is the wife of Ray Hilton, a chemist at Houston, and they have a daughter, Dorothy and son, Addison III.  Addison, Jr., is a pupil in the public schools at Washington, D.C.

  • "The Addison Lincecums are a happy, gay, hospitable people and their household is much as Gideon's must have been.  All the Lincecums are musical.  Dr. Addison was regarded as the champion fiddle player in El Campo [Texas]." [Source:  Gideon Lincecum, 1793-1874 by Lois Burkhalter.  Page 87.]

  • "Born in Washington County, Texas, Addison L. Lincecum (1874-1965) graduated with the first class of Baylor University Medical School in 1903. For most of his life, Lincecum practiced medicine in El Campo, where he lived with his wife Letha Gandy Lincecum and their three children. During the Spanish-American War, he served with Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders, and he fought Pancho Villa’s encroachments on the Texas border as a Texas Ranger in the 1910s. In World War I, Lincecum served as a combat surgeon in France, participating in the Meuse-Argonne and Saint-Mihiel campaigns. Upon returning to the states, he founded and served as first commander for an American Legion Post at El Campo. In 1920, at the outbreak of bubonic plague, Governor James E. Ferguson sent Lincecum to Galveston, later appointing him to the State Board of Health. Lincecum also served one term as mayor of El Campo (1932), acted as the town’s postmaster (1935-1949), and established (1939) and superintended the Nightingale Hospital for 10 years. Additionally, Lincecum became a reporter and commentator for the El Campo radio station KULP at the age of 80." [Via Ancestry family tree.  Uploaded 2011 by choctaw1637.  Cited as "Addison L Lincecum Papers, 1908-1965" processed by Kathy Herzik, Jean Difloe and Julia Payne.  Repository listed as Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin, Travis County, Texas, USA.  Dated 1981.]

  • Addison can be found in Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory Of The City Of Galveston [Texas], 1895-96.  He is listed as a medical student.

  • Addison worked his way through medical school as an engineer on trains transporting granite blocks for Galveston jetties.

    He was elected vice-president of the Texas Medical Association in 1912.  He went to Cuba as a physician with Roosevelt's Rough Riders.  He was commissioned a Texas Ranger in 1917, and he served as captain with the 36th Division in World War I.  [Source:  Gideon Lincecum, 1793-1874 by Lois Burkhalter.  Page 86.]

  • 111th Engineer Regiment, 1917
    MOTTO:  "Fortis et Fidelis" - "Brave and Faithful"
    FORMATION:  Company A, Texas Engineers was organized in Port Arthur in 1916, followed by Company B shortly after, redesignated from artillery to engineers.  Other units were formed after that date.  B company was ordered to Camp Travis in San Antonio to supervise construction at that post.  The entire Texas engineer unit was called to federal services on August 15, 1917.  The Engineers were redesignated as the 111th Engineer Regiment in October 1917 with the First Oklahoma Engineer battalion included to form second battalion of the regiment.  Included in the ranks of the 111th were "400 cowboys," including most of Comapny C, First Battalion, from Sweetwater.  The unit completed the work begun at Camp Bowie, building a road system and the "Benbrook trench system." The Benbrook trenches stretched, upon completion, for more than ten miles along both sides of the Texas and Pacific Railroad southwest of Fort Worth.
    WORLD WAR ONE SERVICE:  The unit arrived in France July 1918, and was assigned with the 36th Division to the Bar-sur-Aube.  The Engineers were quickly called into service after arrival, assigned Corps Engineers for the First Corps in September, repairing roads, filling captured trenches and building bridges.  After five days near St. Mihiel, the unit moved by night march into the Argonne Forest.  The regiment spent most of October following the American advance, providing vital road building work as the armies advanced, ending the war near Sedan.  Cleaning German mines in the line of advance was particularly dangerous part of the work of the unit.  The unit was mustered out of service at Camp Bowie, Fort Worth, Texas in May 1919.  [Source:  Texas Military Forces Museum - http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/36division/archives/111/111lin.htm]

  • From Texas World War I Records, 1917-1920 via FamilySearch.org (citing Texas Military Forces Museum, Austin)
    Lincecum, Addison Lysander
    Residence:  El Campo, Wharton Co, Texas
    Born:  Long Point, Washington, Tex Apr 8/1874
    Called into Active Service as:  Capt MC Apr 3/18 fr ORC
    Organizations and staff assignments:  111 Engrs to ---; 827 Bn TC to May 6/19; 156 Dep Brig to disch
    Principal Stations:  Camp Greenleaf Ga; Camp Mills NY; AEF; Camp Jackson SC; Ft Sam Houston Tex
    Engagements:  none
    Served overseas:  June 8/18 to May 3/19
    Hon. disch:  May 27/19

  • Addison served on the (Texas) state board of health, investigating bubonic plague.  He was mayor of El Campo, Texas.  He developed a long practice, served as superintendent of a hospital and as postmaster, and he conducted a weekly radio current-events forum.  [Source:  Gideon Lincecum, 1793-1874 by Lois Burkhalter.  Pages 86 & 87.]

  • In 1930, Addison owned a $6,000 home with a radio (per census).  He was also noted as a World War veteran.  According to the 1940 US Federal census for Wharton County, Texas, Dr. A. L. Lincecum had completed 7 years of college.  He had worked all 52 weeks of 1939, and his income was $2,600.

  • Dallas Morning News (Texas)
    7 December 1965
    Widely Known Physician, Dr. A. L. Lincecum, Dies
    EL CAMPO, Texas (AP) - Dr. A. L. Lincecum, last surviving member of the Baylor Medical School's first graduating class and widely known country doctor for 5o years, died Monday. He was 91.

    Moments after his daughter, Mrs. Ruth Crosby, a want ads employee for the Houston Post, learned of his death at his isolated ranch near El Campo, her husband, certified public accountant T. A. Crosby, 64, suffered a fatal heart attack.

    Dr. Lincecum set up practice in Wharton County a few years after his graduation in 1903 from the medical school. He retired in 1953 and devoted himself to his role of "roving reporter" for KULP radio station in El Campo until he was paralyzed by a stroke in 1958.

    He was a soldier with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders in the Spanish-American War, got a special Texas Rangers commission to help hunt the bandit Pancho Villa in Mexico after a fellow doctor and friend was killed in a border raid, and served as a combat surgeon in France in World War I.

    He is credited with making the first report that the malaria-bearing anopheles mosquito from Mexico was in this country in 1905. He later won recognition for research on bubonic plague.

    Funeral services for Dr. Lincecum will be held at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Wheeler Funeral Chapel in El Campo.

    In addition to his daughter, he is survived by two sons, Bill Lincecum and Barney Lincecum. Dr. Lincecum's wife, Letha, died in 1959.

  • Amarillo Globe-Times (Texas), 7 December 1965:
    Baylor Medical Original Grad Dies at Age 91
    EL CAMPO (AP) -- The last surviving member of Baylor Medical School's first graduating class, Dr. A. L. Lincecum, 91, is dead.

    Lincecum was at his ranch home near El Campo when death came Monday.  He had been paralyzed since a stroke in 1958.

    A few years after his graduation from the medical school in 1903, Lincecum set up medical practice in Wharton County.  He retired in 1953.

    He is survived by a daughter and two sons.

    Funeral services are set for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Wheeler Funeral Home in El Campo.

  • lincecum-addison-l-deathcertAddison's death certificate (via FamilySearch.org) gives his cause of death as "generalized arteriosclerosis."

  • Addison's headstone has an arrowhead embedded in it to honor his Army division.  See I'll Take What I Can Get (This Time It's Personal) at the Southern Graves blog.

  • The Cuero Record (Texas)
    Thursday, 9 December 1965 [via "The Portal to Texas History" – texashistory.unt.edu]
    Dr. Addison L. Lincecum, Pioneer Texan, is Dead
    Dr. Addison L. Lincecum, 91-year-old retired physician, died early Monday at his son's home in Gandy's Bend above Morales in Jackson Co, according to the Yoakum Herald-Times.

    Dr. Lincecum, a veteran of the Spanish-American War and the St. Michiel and Argonne-Meuse offensives of World War I, was a former administrator of the Nightingale Hospital at El Campo.  He moved to Louise in 1910 and established his practice in El Campo in 1911.

    Dr. Lincecum was a member of a pioneer Texas family and the son and grandson of physicians.

    Four hours after his daughter, Mrs. T. A. Crosby, of Houston learned of her father's death, her husband died of a heart attack at his home.

    In addition to being a physician, Dr. Lincecum was a railroad engineer, Texas Ranger and postmaster and mayor in El Campo.  He was superintendent of the Wharton Co. Nightingale Hospital for ten years and of the Wharton Co. Hospital for three years.  He worked his way through school as a railroad engineer.

    Dr. Lincecum was paralyzed by a stroke in 1958.

    He was the first physician to report on the malaria bearing anophelos mosquito from Mexico in 1905.  He was in Brownsville when raiders of the Mexican bandit, Pancho Villa, killed a fellow doctor who was a good friend of Dr. Lincecum.  He asked for a special Ranger commission and accompanied U. S. forces into Mexico to track down the raiders.

    Dr. Lincecum volunteered for service in Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders and in WWI joined up with the 36th Division as army surgeon.

    Funeral services were held Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. at Wheeler Funeral Home in El Campo with John Cope of The First Christian Church officiating.  Military burial was at 3 p.m. in the family plot at Gandy's Bend.

    In addition to his daughter, Dr. Lincecum is survived by two sons, Bill of Gretna, La., and Barney with whom he had lived since 1960.  His wife, Mrs. Letha Gandy Lincecum died in 1959.

    Funeral services for his son-in-law, T. A. Crosby, were held Tuesday at 4 p.m. in Houston.

See also: - Individual Facts Report for Addison Lysander Lincecum (1874-1965) - Timeline Report for Addison Lysander Lincecum (1874-1965)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin