07 July 2016

Introduction to My Last Name, and Why a One-Name Study

My last name is Lincecum.  A story of that name was passed down to me from my grandfather, Billy Joe Lincecum, in a genealogy report he compiled more than 26 years ago.

LINSEYCOMB to LINCECUM

The desire for freedom was an old Lincecum tradition which began when Paschal, the son of a French mother and a British father, fled his native France for America.  He brought with him his French wife and infant son, Gideon, and in the new country changed the spelling of the family name from LINSEYCOMB to LINCECUM......

Re:  Chapter one (Page 7), Gideon Lincecum 1793-1874, a Biography, By: Lois Wood Burkhalter.

DEFINITIONS FROM THE DICTIONARY

Linseywoolsey.......A coarse fabric woven from linenwarp and coarse wool filling...

Comb...............Any comb like instrument, a toothed piece of bone, metal, etc., a card for dressing wool.

Linseycomb..........An instrument for combing linsey, one who combs linsey....

Conducting a one-name study of the Lincecum surname has been a desire of mine for many, many years.  I consider such a study to be a large undertaking, and suppose the commitment is what has previously stopped me from taking the first step.

Lincecum is an unusual surname.  Tim has made it somewhat famous, but prolific it is not.  According to worldnames.publicprofiler.org, for every million people in the United States, less than two have the surname Lincecum.  Here is a screen shot of where we reside.

Shouldn't take long to cover it (at least in the U.S.), right? Well, I'm not so sure about that.  One of the bigger goals I hope to achieve with this one-name study is to find connections, if there are any, to what I believe are variants of the surname.  For example, are Lincecums related to Linthicums? I really want to answer that one.  Using the same source, Linthicum has a frequency per million of 8.64 in the U.S. alone.  Canada comes in second with 1.6 FPM.

Linscomb is another one.  The frequency per million in the United States is even lower than Lincecum, but we reside in a lot of the same areas.  We've got to be related, right? There are even more variations I could list, but you get the idea.

Though not new to genealogy, I am new to this particular focus.  I expect to rely heavily on the Guild of One-Name Studies for help in getting started, at least.  Anyone else ever conducted a one-name study? Got any tips?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hi! My husband's family is Lincicum. I have traced his ancestry back to a civil war soldier, James Lincicum from Ohio but my trail ends there. I'd love to know if you discover any connection to us.
Melissa Lincicum
Jaymiz@sbcglobal.net

Blog Widget by LinkWithin