Sorry, We're Closed.

This blog is essentially no more. Though I have left posts here, in most cases just for the sake of genealogy, there will be no more updates. Those posts I chose to move can now be found between two of my other blogs:

Southern Graves -- http://blog.southerngraves.net

Stephlin's Mountain -- http://stephlinsmountain.blogspot.com

01 March 2014

Oatmeal for Lunch, with an Added Guilty Pleasure

I don't know for sure what brought it on, but I decided I wanted oatmeal for lunch today. Apple cinnamon oatmeal, to be specific. It's been my favorite since I was kid.

Have I mentioned the commitment I made to myself recently? I'm trying very hard to eat real food. Staying away from processed stuff is a monumental task (for me), and I'm taking it one day at a time. So even though I had some prepackaged dried apple and instant oat mixture staring at me from within the pantry, I turned the other way and walked right to my notebook computer (and Google).

Who would've thought (not me!) I had all the ingredients necessary to make some true apple cinnamon oatmeal? Even the apples! Yes, I'm growing.

Adapting from a wonderful recipe I found at Barefeet In The Kitchen, this is what I did:

Cored, peeled, and diced two small red apples. They were most likely Rome, but please don't pressure me. I added those sweet bits to a pot with some water (just shy of two cups) and one cup of oats. A 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg joined the party soon after. I let that come to a boil, then turned the knob down to a simmer and let that happen for a few minutes. After the apples got soft, I stirred in about 1/8 cup brown sugar.


Looks delicious, doesn't it? I'll bet you can tell there is something a little extra in the bowl, though (besides that pat of butter). Since I really like sweet oatmeal, I tried something a while ago -- I added some French vanilla creamer to it. Please don't judge! It is so good. And I had the stuff to make that, too, so it was meant to be.

Aimee at Shugary Sweets said all I needed was a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk, a cup and a half of regular milk, and a couple splashes of vanilla...  She was so correct.

1 comment:

Celia Lewis said...

Love the photo - and your goal of avoiding prepackaged foods. As a mother of 3 kids with severe milk allergies (and 1 "normal"), I have almost no prepackaged/processed foods in my house out of stark necessity.
Rather than oatmeal, I use Red River Cereal, add steel-cut oats, flax, sunflower seeds, and any fruits - recently blueberries from last summer, and blackberries the week before. I add cinnamon - of course.
And being Canadian - I add a bit of Quebec pure maple syrup on top with some yogurt. So disgustingly healthy it's amazing. Great all winter long for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner, depending on how lazy I am!
Enjoy your oatmeal - it's pretty healthy, after all, and so comforting on a cold day, eh?!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin