I'm not new to making bread; I've been getting paid to do it for about twenty years. It's not often something I do at home, though. Many, many years ago I owned a bread machine. We used it often enough, but when I got my all-time favorite kitchen appliance it seemed a little unnecessary so we got rid of it. What's my all-time favorite appliance? The Kitchen Aid mixer, of course!
I guess the reason why I shared that with you is because of the recipe book I used for the sweet bread -- it's a collection of recipes for bread machines. (But I'm here to tell you, you don't have to have a bread machine to use the recipes!)
The recipe that follows is for an egg bread with slightly sweet overtones, using Mountain Dew instead of water. It's delicious with blueberry butter, and it makes a mean honey smoked turkey sandwich.
|Ready to Bake|
Sweet Mountain Dew Bread
Adapted from Sweet Bread recipe, pg. 59, The All-New Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook
- 3/4 cup Mountain Dew
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 packet fast-rise yeast
- Add dry ingredients to mixer. Next add the butter and incorporate. Then add the egg, egg yolk, and Mountain Dew. Mix until dough forms, cleans the bowl, and has proper development.
- Let dough rest for about an hour. Shape it into a loaf and place it in pan.
- Let dough proof in pan for about two hours.
- Bake in a 375° oven for about 25 minutes. Turn out of pan and let cool on rack.