14 June 2013

Maybe I Should Have Drained the Ricotta?

I stuck with Paula Deen in my latest baking adventure. She has an Italian Love Cake recipe in The Lady & Sons, Too! that sounded pretty good. I was hoping for something like a cannoli, and that is what I got...just with a slightly mushy bottom.

3 nice layers with an ever so slightly mushy bottom.

I think I should have drained the ricotta cheese. I have not worked with it much, so even though I thought it was pretty "liquidy" (with 2 oz less than called for!) I just trudged on with the recipe. After the fact (of course), I came across this little video with Martha Stewart that speaks of doing exactly that. I might try it next time.

Also, I saw a lot of people online sharing this recipe with just chocolate cake. Paula's recipe calls for fudge marble cake, and I think I would do it that way again -- seems more like a cannoli to me.

I would stick with the fudge marble cake flavor!

Not a big fan of the icing.
One final thought: I didn't like the icing all that much. It's a mixture of instant chocolate pudding and Cool Whip. I think I'll go a little different next time -- even if it's just plain ol' whipped topping.

Oh! And I guess I should disclose this little tidbit: I did not let my cake sit overnight before cutting and tasting (it was several hours only). I recommend that you do follow that direction, as I believe it was better the next day.

Italian Love Cake Ingredients (pg. 204):
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pkg. fudge marble cake mix

Icing:
- 1 (5.1 oz) pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 8 oz Cool Whip

The ricotta mixture (ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla) should be added to a 9x13 pan already containing your cake batter assembled according to package directions, by spreading it on top. Bake for 1 hour at 350°.

The icing is simply the Cool Whip folded into the already combined instant pudding and milk.

Don't forget to refrigerate overnight!

P.S. Don't let my "wouldas" and "shouldas" dissuade you from making this cake per Paula's recipe -- we ate it all!

Have a sweet day!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin