22 June 2013

A Pig Pickin' Cake?

I hesitated in posting this since Paula's been in the news quite a bit lately (and not in a good way), but I still must credit her with the recipe. And a delicious one it is. I made it the day before Father's Day and took it to the next afternoon's festivities. I was pleasantly surprised that my grandfather, who rarely eats sweets, enjoyed two pieces. Why it's called Pig Pickin' I do not know. I do know it really is an easy, light, summery cake.

I'm still working from Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons, Too! publication. This recipe is on page 206.

Cake Ingredients:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, with juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Icing Ingredients:
- 1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (3.4 oz.) pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 (8 oz. ea) containers Cool Whip

The cake ingredients are mixed together and make 3 thin layers (8 inch). The icing is also a simple mix of the ingredients. I might leave the vanilla out next time. It added flavor, but in my opinion gave a slight heaviness to an otherwise very light tasting icing.


My one misstep was not putting enough icing between the layers. I worried, unnecessarily, about having enough icing altogether so I was a little thin there.


The cake is so good, it'll be gone before you know it.

Have a sweet day!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin