19 June 2010

Elisha Womble's Letter from the Confederate Training Camp

Some time ago, I came across a transcription of a letter written by my 2nd great grand uncle in law, Elisha L. Womble. At the time of the writing he was encamped near Savannah at a Confederate training facility.
8 December 1861 by E. Womble
Written to Mr. J. N. Hooks

Dear Friend,

I (?) make the attempt to write you a short letter which leaves me in moderate health hoping wil find you well. I have bin waiting sometime thinking I would have something new to write but have not and fear I wil not intrest you at all. When I first come in camp I could see something new everyday but now it is a sight to the contrary. I hear a good many stories and I’ve bin in the habit of beleaving some of them but now I don’t know whether to beleave anything or not. I know one thing they have got us bound up very tite. I’ve not bin out side of the encampment since last Sunday only when we was drilling. They drill us 6 hours in the day we hardly have time to cook and eat these short days. They talk of sending we six months fellows home about Christmas but I can’t tell whether that is soon or not. They talk of turning us over to the Confederate government but I don’t know whether they will do that or not.I see they are sending Soldiers here from Mississippi they are Confederate soldiers. I think from the way everything is working we wil get the chance to get in to a fight before long. I think the Yankeys aims at taking Fort Pulaski and if they take that they can take Savannah. They is the size of 20 vessels in 3 or 4 miles of the fort. I think they are waiting for recruits. They have left Tybee Island . Our men fined a light house thare the other night and the Yankeys saw the light of it and turned in to it shooting at it. I think they shot some 30 or 40 times before they found out what they was shooting at. I heard the guns and thought it was (?) men shooting. I would like to come up about Christmas but they will be no chance . They wil not let no man have a furlough now nor wil not before Christmas. This is one of the Christmases I expect to stay home if I live. James you must get some of the boys and come down and take christmas with us. I don’t think you spend your money in a better place(?). Come down and stay 3 or 4 days. It wil not cost you anything after you get down here. We have a very nice heltha place here to camp. I hope we wil not move anymore while we have to stay in camps. But I expect we wil have to dobble quick down to tybee before long.

I think we have the meanest Doctor for our Reg. that I ever saw. They was a man dide in it yesterday and I think Wm Bridges will die before tomorrow morning and I beleave they killed him. Dr. (?) has gone home.

I wrote to Mollie to try to get you in the notion to wait until I come back before you and her jumps into dobble trobble. She said she would wait until Christmas and that wil soon be here. Give her my respects when you see her and recieve an equal fraction yourself. You must write soon and all the new direct to Savannah 1st Reg Gen. Harrisons Brig. Care of C. B. Haskins Com. B you see they is two Brigades now and of course they is two first Regiments or a first Reg. in each Brig. and they take the Companys in alphabetical form as Com A, Com B and so on ours is Com B. Decm. 8th/61

from your friend, E. Womble
Mr. Wm Bridges has dide since I started this letter or since I finished it rather.
This letter was contributed by Elisha's great granddaughter, Grace Womble. The address at which I originally found the letter no longer exists, but can still be viewed using the wayback machine -- http://www.civilwarhistory.com/SoldiersLifeVisual/Letters/Womble.htm .

1 comment:

Aspiring freelance writer said...

Hi! I believe we have a Genealogy connection through the LINCECUM and BERRY surnames! I am happy to share any genealogy info I have with you. Please email me at jenicoe2001@yahoo.com. I hope we can share info! Have a great day and hope to hear from you soon! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin