15 February 2010

GB Games 2010: A New Name & New Goal (Recap of Day 3)

I was a busy little lady today. After I got home from my "real" job, I was able to devote some time to the GB Games 2010.

While doing a bit of data entry, I decided to perform a quick search on Google using my second cousin's name (Trellis O. Young) to verify a website source. This actually led me to a recent obituary for my third cousin, Treva Revay Yates. I'm sad to say she passed away last month at the young age of 55. Reading the obituary, however, gave me the name of her mother. This was information I did not have.

Even before this happened, I read a post written by Heather at [Family] History is the Lie Commonly Agreed Upon. The post was about her new organization system. One of the things she decided to try was a "clean" genealogy folder where she put all of her data without trying to divide it by surname.

I think this is a great idea, and I am going to give it a try. I often get bogged down trying to decide which surname folder a certain file should go in. If I tag the file with a good description, I should always be able to find it without having to remember which surnames folder I chose to attach it to. It's not likely I will complete this before the end of the GB Games 2010, but these challenges have motivated me.

Now for a more complete recap:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources - Today I completed 39 source citations. Woo Hoo! That gives me a gold medal, and I'm one away from a diamond.

2. Back Up Your Data - I'm one step closer to getting a handle on this habit I'm trying to form. I completed half of Task A. I have decided to give Mozy a try after reading about it on a couple of geneablogs. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to download the free trial and see exactly how it works.

3. Organize Your Research - I started on Task A and organized a couple of hard files. Task D I completed yesterday. I also started on Task E by creating 16 data entries into my database. Only four more to go to finish that one.

4. Expand Your Knowledge - did not compete

5. Write, Write, Write - I created a new page on the Southern Graves blog for Featured Articles. That completes Task E, giving me a bronze medal. I'm still planning on the genealogy report for LL, and I want to get moving on the "Surname Saturday" theme.

6. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness - For Task A I commented on 5 new-to-me geneablogs. There sure are a lot of great ones out there. I participated in an indexing project by posting an obituary to my Southern Obituaries blog, completing Task E. I also started following four new geneablogs, finishing Task G. Finishing three tasks in this category gives me gold medal!

My standings as of 15 February 2010: 2 bronze, 2 gold

I hope you are reaching your GB Games goals!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin