19 July 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

A little more than fifteen years ago, me, Mom, and Grandma visited Juliette, Georgia and the Whistle Stop Cafe. If you squint, you might be able to see Mom and Grandma in the photo. Juliette and the Whistle Stop was the setting for the 1991 film "Fried Green Tomatoes." You can catch a glimpse of the cafe in the movie trailer below.


Since this was only a few years after the movie, there were still quite a few little shops in the downtown area around the cafe, as well as a flea market / antique shop in the old grist mill across the river (the concrete structure can be seen in the background as a train goes by in the movie trailer).

I really enjoyed this little day trip in the summer of 1994, and I made sure to get this postcard to remember it by.


As the sign painted on the window says, the Whistle Stop was known for their fried green tomatoes. We, of course, had to go in and give them a try. I was a little excited since I had not had fried green tomatoes before. My mom and grandmother thought they were very good. As for me, I don't plan on ever having them again. :-)


This post was written for A Festival of Postcards, word prompt: "signs."

3 comments:

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

I love the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". I watch it whenever it is on t.v. We tried the fried green tomatoes to lol - I much prefer the piccalilli my mother used to make with fried green tomatoes ;o)

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Hi Stephanie,
I've looked at this post several times and I had left a message sometime ago but I guess something went wrong with it!
I love the Fried Green Tomatoes connection - very quirky as a post - but I also love the way you combined your postcard with a photograph and a youtube video. You make good use of the multimedia potential of the internet!
The July signs issue of the Festival of Postcards has been published here:
http://acanadianfamily.com/2009/07/29/a-festival-of-postcards-3rd-ed-signs/
If you are interested, the next two themes are water (August) and 4-legged animals (September).
Thanks for all your efforts!
Evelyn in Montreal

S. Lincecum said...

Thanks so much Lucie and Evelyn!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin