Ransom Taylor Avant was born 18 February 1810 in Washington, Georgia. He married Matilda Johnson. She was born 11 September 1810 in Georgia. Ransom and Matilda had five children:
- Lewis Mitchell Avant (1836-1923);
- Martha Avant (1840-1934);
- Isaiah Lewis Avant (d. 1874);
- James Russell Avant (1847-1919);
- George W. Avant.
Ransom died 12 September 1882 and was buried in Liberty Chapel Cemetery; Bibb County, Georgia. An obituary:
13 September 1882
The Macon Telegraph & Messenger
"On Monday afternoon, in Rutland district, while engaged in hauling with a two-horse wagon, Mr. Ransom T. Avant fell from the wagon, was run over and so badly hurt that he died that night. Mr. Avant had been in feeble health for a number of years, but has been active and diligent in business when not actually in bed. He will be buried this morning at Liberty Chapel, Rev. C. W. Smith conducting the funeral ceremonies. Being a Mason, a number of the Masonic fraternity will attend."
- Ancestry World Family Tree
- Tombstone Inscriptions
- Newspaper Articles
- US Federal Census Records
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98: This database is an index of more than 2.7 million deaths recorded by the State of Georgia from 1919 to 1998. The index includes the name of the deceased, the volume of the certificate number, the death date, the race of the deceased, the deceased's gender, the county of death, the death certificate number, the date the certificate was filed, and the deceased's age.