20 March 2009

Asa & Malinda Had Nothing But Their Health & Strength to Start the World With

My 5th Great-Grandparents were Asa B. Lincecum and Malinda Nevels. They met and were married in South Carolina about 1802.

In Lois Burkhalter's book about Gideon Lincecum II (1793-1874), some of Gid's writings were quoted. Here is what he had to say about his cousin Asa and Malinda:

[Gideon and family were enroute to Tennessee from Georgia.]

"After getting over into South Carolina we only had time to get out into the timber before night. Here we camped. While collecting wood to make a fire, the young lady came up with a heavier log on her shoulder than a man could carry. My father said: "Cousin Asa (the oldest son of Aunt Sally Kelly...who had joined us a few days previous), relieve the lady of her tote," and he took it and threw it on the fire. The young lady observed to Cousin Asa, "Young man, I don't know your name but I can throw you down." Asa replied, "Neither do I know your name, but I can tell you that is a big banter, for I have not seen the man yet that can throw me down; and further, I will say as you are young and pretty and of an agreeable, jolly temper, I will agree to marry you if you throw me two best in three falls. On these conditions I accept your challenge." In reply to this the young lady remarked, "Young man...the proposition you have made...pleases me, and I have neither house nor home, kith nor kin, nor lover, nor aught of impediment or obstruction to prevent me from doing what suits me best; and that I am sound and in good health I will prove to you when we test the question." And turning to my father, said to him: "Sir, if you will see me fair play, I accept the conditions offered." My father assured her most earnestly that she should be fairly dealt with.

She threw Asa the first two falls and he declared she was as strong as a horse.

"I am clearly beaten, but I'll stick to it though I don't even know her name" and he went to where she was seated and making a low bow said: "Madam, will you honor me so far as to communicate the name of her to whom I am indebted for the two severe upsettings I received just now?" She very distinctly and in a sweet musical voice replied, "Malinda Nevels. Now, Sir, will you return the compliment?" "With pleasure, Miss. My name is Asa Lincecum," and they approached each other and shook hands.

We remained at that camp three days and Malinda was so industrious and handy in helping about the camp that Mother fell in love with her. Father had been gone two days with an old drunken Irishman who came to our camp the next day after we got there. Mother was uneasy and said she didn't understand it, that it was mighty bad to lose three days pretty weather in such a long journey. But Father came back on the evening of the third day and astonished us all by informing us that he had rented an excellent house and farm on Calhoun Creek, Abbeville District, South Carolina. So we geared up and went there the very next day and sure enough found the house a good one and the land fine.

There were two good sets of houses on the farm. Asa agreed to crop it with my father, as there was plenty of open land on the farm. To make everything go more smoothly, Asa informed Malinda that he was ready to settle up what he had lost with her in the wrestle at camp. She was ready to receive it, and they sent for Parson Porter who witnessed the payment and fixed the papers legally and they were man and wife.

They had nothing but their health and strength to start the world with, not even a blanket, but they had courage and went bravely to work, cleaning up and fixing up the other set of houses. Mother lent them a bed stick and some blankets...Asa made a fine crop of cotton and corn and Malinda spun and made cloth sufficient for clothing."

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin