28 June 2007

A Little Background on Gideon Lincecum

Gideon Lincecum was born 1793 in Georgia to Hezekiah Lincecum and Sally Hickman. He was the grandson of Gideon Lincecum and Miriam Bowie. Miriam was the aunt of Jim Bowie of knife and Alamo fame.

Gideon had at least 8 siblings: Garland, Grant, Rezin, Green, Thornton, Mary, Grabel, and Emily. I've heard tale of another sister, but I'm not sure. In fact, I have no information on Mary, either. All other siblings are accounted for.

Gideon married Sarah Bryan 1814 Putnam County, Georgia. They had 13 children: Lycurgus, Lysander M., Martha, Leonidas, Leander, Mary, Lachaon, Lucullus, Leonora, Cassandra, Sarah, Lysander Rezin, and Lucifer.

Gideon and his family were in Mississippi not long after 1814. He had one of the first settlements in Columbus. Along the Tombigbee River is where he spent much of his time with the Indians and conducted his "famous" interview with Pushmataha. By 1850, Gideon was in Texas. Before 1870, he went to Mexico. He returned to Texas and died in Longpoint in 1874. Gideon was originally buried near home, but his remains now rest in the Austin, Texas State Cemetery.

8 comments:

L.W.Lincecum said...

i am a direct decedent to Dr.Gideon Lincecum. My Great Grandfather is Cliff G.Lincecum.

S. Lincecum said...

Good to meet you! I am directly descended from the first Gideon (husband of Miriam).

Mary Polk said...

I am researching my husbands maternal parents and grandparents.
M. J. Chance Lynden Wade married L.A Lincecum in Ellis County TX in 1888. Does anyone know if there were any children born to this couple? I think M.J died between 1888-1893 when L. A Lincecum married Ida Alabama Bynum in Ellis County and later moved to Bell County TX and eventually to California. The 1900 census records show a son Monte Wesley Lincecum who was born in 1890 or 1900 before he married Ida, was Monte the son of M.J. and L.A. Lincecum? Mary Polk

Anonymous said...

I also am a direct descendant of Gideon Lincecum. My greatgrandmother Orleans St. John Lincecum was the granddaughter of Gideon.

Anonymous said...

I have a transcript of an 1863 letter written by Dr Gideon to my 4th great grandfather. In it he wrote his family genealogy which is used in books today. Gideon thought they might be related due to similar sounding last names. I'm looking for a Lincecum male descendant interested in doing DNA testing to help determine the relationship. Preliminary testing show that they are related within 7-8 generations but the Lincecum participant is no longer with us so we can't progress any further with his collection. The families would have to have intersected back in the 1700's about Pashal's time. Anyone??

Anonymous said...

I am a descendant of Gideon Lincecum I. I have been trying to find out if he indeed was a Colonial Georgia Ranger. Also, if he was killed by the Indians during the American Revolution. I need documentation proving that he was a member of the Georgia Rangers. If you have any information concerning this, could you please guide me in the right direction.
Thank you. Candace

Anonymous said...

I am a great granddaughter of Orleans St John Lincecum Walker and proud to be
I am doing research and enjoyed finding this site

Anonymous said...

Hezekiah was Orleans St John's grandfather
Garland Lincecum was Gideon's Brother so Gideon was Orlean's Uncle. Orlean was my great grandmother so Gideon was my 2nd great uncle and Gideon 1 was my 3rd great grandfather

Blog Widget by LinkWithin