28 June 2007

Gideon and the Indians

So much has been written about Gideon Lincecum and his relationship with Native Americans. Do a Google search and be amazed. He had much respect and admiration for the culture and people.

I posted a portion of the press release regarding the launching of the Native American census records at Ancestry. For whatever reason, this reminded me of Gideon and all he did to understand and learn from this country's native people. Gideon was a naturalist, so there might seem to be an obvious interest. However, I think it was more than that. I think Gideon was "before his time."

Anyway, I've already stated how much has been written about Gideon and the Indians. I don't know that I have anything else to add, but I want to do some posting on the subject. I want to do it in honor of my 1st cousin, 7 times removed (that's what my family tree program says is the relationship between me and Gideon), and I also want to do it because I too have a respect and admiration for the Native American culture and people. I'm glad to know that trait is in the family tree.

It might take me a bit to formulate my thoughts and get the posts going, so I want to initially share a couple of books about Gideon Lincecum I think are great.

Gideon Lincecum, 1793-1874 by Lois Burkhalter and
Adventures of a Frontier Naturalist: The Life and Times of Dr. Gideon Lincecum by Jerry Lincecum & Edward Phillips.

There are more books out there about Gideon Lincecum. These are two I keep at my fingertips. Both are available through Amazon and Abebooks.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin